Thursday, July 13, 2006

Ed Carpenter Is My Hero

No time to link, just posting the whole thing:

Driver: 'Time of month' could help Danica in NASCAR
Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A fellow IRL driver says Danica Patrick has what it takes to succeed if she switches to the paint-swappingworld of NASCAR and she's plenty aggressive in open-wheel racing whenit's "the right time of the month."

Ed Carpenter,who trails Patrick by four slots in the IRL IndyCar Series' pointsrace, made the comment when asked how Patrick might handle NASCARracing during a radio appearance to promote Saturday night's FirestoneIndy 200.

"I think Danica's pretty aggressive in our cars," Carpenter said Wednesday on WGFX-FM in Nashville.

"Imean, you know especially if you catch her at the right time of themonth, she might be trading plenty of paint out there," he said. "But Ithink she'll hold her own. Who's she's going to drive for is hard tosay. I don't think she's leaving, so we'll see."

Carpenter later told The Associated Press he didn't mean to be disrespectful of Patrick by using a female stereotype.

Hesaid he was trying to make the point that Patrick is competitive andalready proven as a capable driver. He predicts she'll stay in theIndyCar Series.

"It's obvious when you're around her, she's verycompetitive," he said in a telephone interview afterward. "I think shehas goals that she hasn't accomplished yet in the IRL Indy cars. That'sgoing to want to make her stay."

Patrick, a presenter at the ESPY Awards in Los Angeles onWednesday night, didn't take offense when informed of Carpenter'scomments.

"That sounds like a good joke to me, it's pretty funny to me,"she said backstage. "No big deal. Ed is a really nice guy. There'sno drama there. I think it's funny. I'm glad he's showing somepersonality."

Therehas been wide speculation that Patrick will switch leagues after herIRL contract ends this season. Her father was a guest of Roush Racingat Chicagoland Speedway for the Nextel Cup race last weekend.

Carpenter,who is married, drives for a team owned by his mother and her husband,Tony George -- chief executive officer of the Indy Racing League.

Patrick,who won three poles and was rookie of the year in 2005, ranks 12th inpoints this year, best on the Rahal-Letterman team.

"She's kindof leading the way for her team and putting up the best results for herteam. She's going to get shoved around over there just because she's agirl, but I think she's going to be able to hold her own -- if she evengoes over there," Carpenter said.


Aside from the obvious, Ed gets kudos from me just for saying it.  I hope no one gets riled up, but I enjoy stereotypical humor.  I think Ed was sorta joking when he said it, I don't think anyone is that backwards to actually think something like that.  Mainly, I got a kick out of it.

2 comments:

lwjcybil8 said...

So you like stereotypical humor? Well the way I see it...what he said is typically "something only a man would say anyway!"

thecatfishshow said...

You're absolutely right :-)