Monday, September 25, 2006

Observations | Dover

A few more things I wanted to mention from the weekend:

- Yet another young driver is out in the Busch Series as KHI will put Bobby Labonte in the 77 for the rest of the year with the exception of Memphis.  People tend to blame the owners for this when in reality, I think it is a product of the increased influence of the sponsors.  Maybe too much when you have promising guys that get booted because they're not running in the top 5 in their first year.

- I love how when a guy wins a race in the Chase, he instantly becomes the overwhelming favorite to win the title.  Last week, Harvick was unstoppable.  He was going to win the Chase by 4 millions points.  This week Burton wins, now he is the favorite.  Let me hit everyone that employs this line of thinking with a little knowledge: there are no odds-on favorites.  Not yet, anyway.  8 races left means that things aren't settled yet.  At this point, instead of favorites, there are guys who haven't screwed up yet and those who have.  The top 7 haven't totally screwed up... yet.

- Lost in the midst of the incredible battle for the lead and the Chase implications of the race were the great runs by Carl Edwards, Kurt Busch, Greg Biffle, and Martin Truex Jr.  Of course, we won't get to talk about it much because from Richmond on out, we don't care.  But I'll talk about them.  Good runs from guys that need it.  I believe this is one of, if not the best finish of the year for Edwards and Truex.  A great week for my picks as well; save McMurray.

- On to Kansas and later this week my special "Octoberfest" preview of the next month of racing.


Linkage:

BM race recap

Marty Smith

Cross' Words

Dover 200 results

Las Vegas 350 results

Jaynelle's post-race entry (love her or hate her)

2 comments:

jayemarie24 said...

Love me or hate me? Can't there be any middle ground?

thecatfishshow said...

There could, but what's the fun in that?