Friday, October 6, 2006

I Guess You're Wondering How I'm Feeling

But I just can't put into words the conflict I'm feeling.  Mark's leaving Roush.  Never did I ever think that would happen under any circumstances.  I'm so confused... on one hand Mark's retirement has been revoked twice, the man doesn't want to leave Cup and this time it came too late to change things.  The teams at Roush are locked in and deals are made that don't accomidate what he wants to do.  Still, though... it's Mark Martin.  You find a way to keep him.  No matter what happens the rest of this season it just won't be the same.  I tried to fool myself last year when Kurt Busch announced he was leaving but I just didn't feel the same attachment.  I don't know if I'll feel it again until I watch the race Sunday and the next 7 this year.  The thought of Mark Martin joining a Hendrick satellite and driving a Chevy is just so far removed from what I've ever imagined seeing in this sport.  I'm a Mark Martin fan and I'm a Roush fan.  I don't know which one is stronger...

1 comment:

walnutzmaniac said...

I'm sorry Matt, but this reminds me of the old saying regarding "crying wolf too many times" Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Mark Martin leave Roush Racing either - - but on the other hand he shouldn't have said he was retiring if he had no intention of doing so. You really can't blame Jack Roush for making their future plans, that do not include Mark, when he has been begging to retire. I say let him go spend some time with his son Matt, who needs his Father !!!  Frankly, I was shocked to see the news this morning that he will be running a "split driver" ride for MB2 Motorsports. I can't help but wonder what that is all about and what it will mean to his fan base. Just when you think you've seen it all, huh?

Try to look on the bright side, apparently he is not leaving NASCAR altogether. You will still be able to see him race !!!