Monday, November 20, 2006

The 2006 Nextel Cup Champion: Jimmie Johnson



I'll give the devil his due, he earned the championship this season.  My dislike of Johnson, Knaus, and Hendrick as a whole has been well-documented but this team had a great year and they should be celebrating.  Winning the Daytona 500 and the Brickyard 400 in the same year as a championship is special and doesn't happen often.  The 48 team showed they had matured after the two previous Chase seasons and made a strong run to take the title. 

I don't look at the 2006 season as a disappointment for Matt Kenseth and the 17 team.  Second place in points with 4 wins is something to be proud of and I don't think anyone would disagree with the statement that they are just as good as the champs.  This season will be remembered for the emergence of Denny Hamlin and the 11 team and the re-emergence of RCR and DEI.  2007 will change a lot of things in NASCAR so I want everyone to soak up the 2006 season for what it was as we go through withdrawals for the next three months until the engines fire for the Daytona 500 in February.

2 comments:

lwjcybil8 said...

Thank you very much catfish! Jimmie did a great job and you acknowledge that fact.

thecatfishshow said...

I'm not dumb enough to say he didn't earn it.  I think the past two years were just prolonging the inevitable.  I'm working on my early 2007 gut instincts so tune in for that.