Thursday, November 9, 2006

So... Phoenix

Once again, I apologize for my lack of blogging during the week.  Yesterday during election day I worked all afternoon at my local precinct and then attended two campaign parties (Hint: if you ever get invited to the Speedway Club at Lowes Motor Speedway, go).  Luckily, the House race I worked on (8th district with Robin Hayes) should end up being a win.  Robin leads by 468 votes but the recount BS and all that will delay it being certified.  Needless to say, it was a long night for the GOP.  I'm trying to look at the bright side.  With Nazi... sorry, Nancy Pelosi as the new Speaker that scares me to no end.  But most of the people that were kicked out should have been (save Rick Santorum) because the majority of the Republican congressmen had forgotten their way as advocates of smaller government and fiscal conservatism and were spending just as much and more than the Democrats in the early 90s.  A lot of the Dems elected were social conservatives which I can deal with as long as they don't run to the left and join Pelosi and her freak squad.  Nothing of consequence will get passed as I believe President Bush will actually (GASP!) use vetoes and he'll exert even more executive authority in much the same manner President Clinton did.  Another positive step was the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense.  He needed to be gone a long time ago because he had some good ideas, but the execution has been horrible.  Rumsfeld's plans of battle to include the smallest amount of troops possible was good in theory but we need more troops to fight in both Afghanistan and Iraq.  Jesus, did I just write a political blog?  Yikes.

I hope everyone forgives me if I'm not that interested in the race at Phoenix.  I can think of better tracks that should have this important second-to-last date before Homestead but we'll work with what we got.  I would like to see Kenseth take the point lead back leaving here because I've yet to see a Champion lose a point lead in the last race of the season since the finale has been at Homestead.  It's also my birthday Sunday so I'll be out of commission for obvious reasons :-) .

No comments: