Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Odds & Ends

One of the last things I'm doing for the 2006 season is a staple of many racing websites - top 10 paint schemes of the year.  I have my own personal favorite list, so here it goes:

Honorable mentions: Denny Hamlin's #11 regular orange FedEx, Clint Bowyer's #07 regular Jack Daniels, Greg Biffle's #16 regular National Guard scheme

10. Kyle Petty's #45 My Coke Rewards car
I chose to include this one simply because of Coke's award to Victory Junction during the All-Star race.

9. Jamie McMurray's #26 Smirnoff Ice
Unfortunately, this car wasn't on TV much because Jamie drove like a stroker this year.  I'm giving him one more year before I start looking for alternative options in the #26.

8. Robby Gordon's #7 Jim Beam black
Plain and simple this car rules.  As you can probably see, black and red are my two favorite colors on these cars. 

7. Juan Pablo Montoya's #30 Texaco Homestead
The red, blue, and yellow lightning bolts along the front looked great and the yellow on the bottom gave it that classic Texaco look with the star on the hood.  Looked better than the 42 did this season.

6. David Gilliland's #38 M&Ms Halloween
The people at Mars do a great job with their paint schemes.  This one is great because of the Halloween theme.

5. Terry Labonte's #44 Texas finale
Maybe other teams will follow suit and do paint schemes like this for retiring legends.  I thought Roush and AAA could have done a lot better with the Mark's Homestead car.

4. Ryan Newman's #12 Alltel MyCircle
I don't much care for Newman but I thought this scheme looked great and it got a good run of races.  Unlike the 12 team this season.

3. Reed Sorenson's #41 red Target
I probably didn't hide the fact that I loved this car this season.  Ganassi made a good call to make it the regular scheme the last half this season and the scheme for 2007.

2. Bobby Labonte's #43 spring Talladega STP tribute
Call me a sucker for history, but seeing the Petty blue with STP is classy and a great throwback to do each year.

1. Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s #8 Budweiser Dale Earnhardt Sr. tribute
The hands-down best scheme of 2006.


- There has been no announcement, but expect to see Matt Kenseth kicking more ass in the Busch Series in 2007.  The twist is, it may or may not be with Roush Racing. 

- Danny O'Quinn continues to look for a sponsor or three to run the full season again in 2007.  Somebody, please step up.  He won ROTY in Busch against Cup veteran John Andretti despite not running in two races.


ESPN.com's Terry Blount has an article up that discusses something I've been saying for months: different cars are needed in the Busch Series.  Fortunately Terry is a professional journalist who has been coverage racing longer than I've been alive, so maybe more people will see the idea and maybe it will really happen.  Click here to read.

No comments: