Saturday, December 2, 2006

Unresloved Questions Heading Into 2007

I'll avoid any mentions of the Banquet, which I'm proud to say I didn't watch.  If anyone did A) I'm sorry and B) for the love of God, WHY?!?

1. Is the Car Of Tomorrow really going to shake things up?

My first instinct says yes.  With a grand total of one car that has been built by a team passing inspection (by Hendrick no less... sign of the apocolypse?) and the first race in March it will be hell on teams to get ready in time.  Luckily Bristol is the first race and it won't be as much of a change as later in the year.  I'm still questioning having 5 of the 10 Chase races as COT races.

2. As The Toyota Turns...

December testing will be the big measuring stick for Toyota to see how the car has come along in the last year.  The Toyota teams will need all the time they can get to shake the car down and see what is there to improve.

3. Who from the 2006 Rookie class will be the next to win?

I think the answer will likely be Clint Bowyer or Martin Truex Jr.  Based on the runs they each had later in the year early wins at California, Vegas, or Atlanta aren't out of the question.  The same could also be said for Reed Sorenson at those tracks. 

4. Will the Roush Racing Crew Chief musical chairs pay off?

Am I the only one who thinks there could be a replica wheel from Wheel Of Fortune in Jack Roush's office with pictures of crew chiefs from the organization on it?  Does he call the drivers in and have them spin the wheel and that is who works with them for the year?  This is the kind of stuff I want to see on ESPN in 2007.

5. Is anything going to be done about Buschwacking?

Right now, probably not.  As I've maintained for the last year and a half, change the cars, change some dates, and the Buschwacking will drop off significantly.  It was perfect in the 90s when the guys that ran in the series were veterans running 8-15 races at the most.

6. The Robert Yates 88 car

With Johnny Sauter apparently staying with Haas and driving the 70 next season (bad move IMO) I think the team is back to square one with their driver search.  I don't even know who is on their radar anymore. 

7. Anyone think Tony Stewart's dieting plan will stick?

Ok, so I had to have one light-hearted question here.  I could ask which team will suck more in '07, but with PPI gone Morgan-McClure could have it sewn up.  To answer the question, let's hope Tony stays with the black firesuit and doesn't go to a white one again.


Lots of Busch/Truck announcements should come within the next week or so.  I'm hoping something for Danny O'Quinn comes along.

No comments: