Monday, January 22, 2007

New Chase Adjustments

NASCAR officially announced today the changes that will be coming to the Chase system for 2007:

•  400-point cutoff eliminated 
•  Top-12 drivers qualify 
•  Point totals adjusted to 5,000 
•  Drivers "seeded" by wins 
•  10-point bonus for each win 

Personally, I think this is bigger than most had originally thought it would be.  I'm glad the 400-point mess is gone because it wasn't used anyway.  Adding 2 more drivers isn't that big a deal because the 400-point cutoff could have put 15 guys in, so capping it at 12 is fine by me.  The biggest thing I see right now is that points racing during the first 26 races could be nearly non-existant.  The provision put in to reset everyone at 5,000 and a 10-point bonus for each win takes away any advantagethat the points leader has, so leading the points will not mean anything until September... I'm not sure I like that.  This season it would have put Kasey Kahne 1st in the standings.  Personally I would have liked to have seen a wider margin between each spot so it means something to be consistent, but this is what we have to work with.  NASCAR also added 5 more points to each race winner, pushing the total to 185 for a win.  Everything else stays the same, but now if a driver wins a race and leads the post laps it will be a 25-point disparity between 1st and 2nd place.  I'm not head over heels in love with it, but it'll do.

No comments: