Tuesday, February 13, 2007

NASCAR Attempts To Stop Cheating Crew Chiefs

Four crew chiefs will get to chill at home for the first weeks of the season, including three from Hendrick Motorsports.  The offending parties are:

Robbie Reiser #17 - unauthorized aerodynamic violations, suspended for 4 races, fined $50,000, and docked 50 driver and owner points.

Ken Francis #9 - unauthorized aerodynamic violations, suspended for 4 races, fined $50,000, and docked 50 driver and owner points.

Rodney Childers #10 - suspended for 2 races, fined $25,000, docked 25 driver and owner points.

Josh Browne #19 - suspended for 2 races, fined $25,000, docked 25 driver and owner points.


Evernham Motorsports must have been really, really careless to have all three of their teams get busted for something just before qualifying.  As for Reiser, I'm sure everyone is wondering how I feel about it... honestly, the violation is serious enough to warrant a suspension since he got caught.  Tim Brewer from ESPN's new show demonstrated what Reiser did to the 17 and I think its right for him to be suspended.  Same with Francis and the 9 team.  Roush quickly responded, placing Chip Bolin in Reiser's stead on top of the pit box.  Personally, I hope he doesn't appeal the ruling - if Reiser works the 500 and the suspension is held up, he would miss the first COT race at Bristol.  I would sacrifice Daytona in order to have him around at Bristol.  Hell, since Cheatin' Chad Knaus was able to work on the cars during his suspension last season, Reiser should be able to do the same exact thing. 

I can't say I have a problem with increased penalties if that is what it takes to send the message.  I don't think cheating will eradicated completely, but it would make teams think awfully hard before doing something they know is illegal rather than playing with the gray area.  Reiser and Francis don't have the track record that Knaus has.  However, increasing the penalties is something I fully believe in.  If Cheatin' Chad is busted again, I want his ass thrown out for the season and a six-figure fine.  Same goes for Todd Berrier.

The latest with Michael Waltrip's car is that the substance found in his manifold is being tested right up the road from me in Concord.  I can't wait to see how severely he gets punished for this, because I think NASCAR has to do something big when so much attention has been paid to the situation (sorry Evelyn).  The car is impounded and will be torn down, the engine, everything.  If what he and the team did is as significant as the rumors say, Waltrip will be watching the Daytona 500 from either Jarrett or Reutimann's pit. 

1 comment:

lwjcybil8 said...

WOW! More cheating! I can't believe these guys are risking so much by cheating. I really,really like Michael Waltrip as a person...I think his driving leaves alot to be desired, but if he cheated too, then he deserves to be punished too. Knaus got what he derserved last year (big Jimmie Johnson fan here) and so should all of these guys. Cheating is BS!