Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Darlington Could Be The Race I've Been Hoping For

Darlington could very well be the race that exposes the Car Of Tomorrow. I kind of suspected it for a few weeks, but Richmond showed me something and Darrell Waltrip (now that's an unlikely ally) pounded on it relentlessly. The COT is slow. Maybe too slow. The cars don't come around like they used to in the turns, and its hard to make a complete pass in them because they don't bite coming off the corners. This was painfully obvious at Phoenix to a degree, but especially at Richmond. A guy with marginal talent in a bad car like Jeff Green can run into guys all day. So Darlington will, in my estimation, only extend that. One line, hard to pass in the regular cars, add the COT, and it could be one damn boring race. That Hendrick will, of course, win. But I'm not the only one who thinks the action could be terrible. Todd Berrier says so here, with an exact quote:

"I really think, at the end of a fuel run, you'll be able to go out there and run faster in a rental car. I'm being perfectly honest with you. I think it's going to be miserably slow. But, I don't honestly know. I think the race at Phoenix, where we were at another mile place; I think it was rather boring from my perspective."

Yeah propaganda sites, the COT is great! Us fans just need to shut up and stop complaining! The Kool-Aid line starts to the left...

2 comments:

Vroom! said...

Those COT bricks are as fast as my Yaya!

Mike said...

I agree. The more aero-dependent tracks like Phoenix, Darlington and Dover will really test the CoT. I am going out on a limb and saying that Hendrick won't win.