Friday, May 25, 2007

Weekend Predictions

I had planned to make this a nice, long, juicy post this week. Plans have changed, since thanks to the luck of the draw I won tickets to attend the Coca-Cola 600. So, I'll be outta here Saturday to watch the race. The downer is I'll more than likely miss the Indy 500 unless I can find a TV to watch. On to the races:

Trucks - Ohio 250 at Mansfield
Lucky for everyone without SPEED, this one will be broadcast on FOX live Saturday at 1. This will be the second short track race of the year. Mike Skinner took the first at Martinsville with Todd Bodine in tow. I'll go with Ron Hornaday to win, making it back-to-back times two. He won last week at Charlotte and is the defending winner of this race one year ago.

Busch - CarQuest 300 at Charlotte
If I were a betting man (which I am) I would be on one of these three drivers: Jeff Burton, Matt Kenseth, or Kevin Harvick. To narrow it down, Harvick will be in the #33 instead of the #21 so that eliminates him. Draw it down now to Jeff Burton and Matt Kenseth - Burton took wins at Vegas and Atlanta this year, with Kenseth winning at California and Texas. This one's a real draw but I'll stick to my guns and pick Kenseth for the win. Of course, now Harvick will go out and win by 12 seconds. Keep your eye on two guys in this race: Todd Kluever and David Green. Kluever runs this track very well and could be a sleeper pick, while Green is back behind the wheel of a new car and a new team that has the brains to grow into a contender.

IRL - 90th Indianapolis 500
Let's start off with what we do know: the winner of this race will come from Penske, Ganassi, or Andretti-Green. Eliminate the rest of the field now. Breaking it down from there, a case could be made for any of the remaining 9 drivers, even Danica Patrick. Castroneves has won it twice (officially). Hornish and Wheldon have each won it once. The Andrettis are well aware of how to lose the race. Kanaan, Dixon, and Franchitti all run well here and haven't had the breaks. It may just be me, but I get the feeling that this one is Wheldon's to lose. He isn't on the pole, but I just have a hunch. That's where my head is going. My heart, however, would like to see an Andretti - Marco or Michael win. They both almost had it last year in what turned out to be a down year for AGR. This year, who knows? The impossible could happen. But I'm picking Wheldon to win.

Nextel Cup - Coca-Cola 600
The series is back in the good car for the longest race of the year and I'll be there. I hate being obvious so I'll avoid mentioning how much Jimmie Johnson and the Lowes car have dominated the Lowes Motor Speedway. Neither will I talk about Kasey Kahne, who has reclaimed his spot as the most overrated driver in the series. This one favors two kinds of drivers: patient ones, and talented ones. If a guy is both, it is a nearly unbeatable combination. I have five drivers to keep your eye on as the evening unfolds: Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin, Matt Kenseth, Kyle Busch, and Jeff Burton. This is just the kind of thing that Kyle Busch would do, go out and win the 600 a week after crashing out his brother to huge cheers in the All-Star race. Martin has been revitalized since taking over the Army car and there is definite potential for a win there. Kenseth and Burton are just so good you can't overlook them. My official pick is going to be Mark Martin. Bobby Ginn has a dream of signing Dale Earnhardt Jr. to his team, he just needs to prove that they're good enough. I think this is driving Martin to give it all he has. This car has run in the top 10 at almost every big track this season and I'm a bit of a homer.

No comments: