Friday, June 15, 2007

Waiting

I decided to sit back and wait while the Dale Jr./Hendrick love story played out seemingly everywhere else. The most common question I think now will be "how will Dale do at Hendrick?" To that, I think he will be very good, but I still have a hard time picturing him as being great. He'll probably win next year multiple times and down the road he could get a championship, but if you ask me there are still a lot of obstacles that will prevent him from ever being the best driver in the sport. His fans, I think, will be perpetually disappointed as long as they expect him to be just like his dad. As for me, I just expect him to be a good driver that wins a few times a year, runs near the front, and may get lucky and get 1 title. Nothing wrong with that. On to the racing this weekend:

The Cup series makes its first visit to the Irish Hills of Michigan this week. I've always liked Michigan. Sure, Roush seemingly owning the place has been nice, but I'm a fan of big tracks where you can drive your preferred line and still be fast, and also have the threat of fuel mileage come into play. Kasey Kahne and Matt Kenseth took victories there last year and one of them will contend again, the one not named Kahne. With Hendrick winning everything in sight it (unfortunately) wouldn't be a stretch to see the 24 or 48 in victory lane to the chagrin of millions. Greg Biffle owned this place in 2004 and 2005 so it will be interesting to see if he can recapture that magic with Greg Erwin and contend for the win here. One guy I expect as a darkhorse could be Reed Sorenson if the equipment holds up, as he scored top 10 finishes in both races here last year. For a winner though, I'm going to go with a 1A and 1B: Ryan Newman and Carl Edwards. One is a no-neck jerk and the other is making a mockery of the Busch Series. Both, however, are overdue for wins and both have been running well enough to grab those wins.

Kentucky Speedway hosts the Busch Series for their annual event in Sparta, which one year ago propelled David Gilliland from unknown driver to Nextel Cup driver in a few short months following his victory. I always enjoy watching this race since this is a track that sees a lot of action from Nextel Cup teams in testing sessions, so I would expect those guys would have an advantage over many of the Busch regulars. To me, you're an idiot if you don't pick Carl Edwards to win this one handily... then again I'm usually an idiot, so my pick will be David Reutimann to surprise some people and pick up the first win for Toyota in the Busch Series.

Finally, the Trucks pair up with the Cup Series at Michigan this week. I had high hopes for the combo of Kvapil and Darnell to contend for wins every week and even the championship, however bad luck has thus far prevented that. Mike Skinner and Todd Bodine are the top two drivers in the series with Hornaday right behind. Mark Martin and Kyle Busch pose threats as they will run their respective trucks here, along with Bobby Labonte driving the #4. I like to think that Martin would get a win here since he was barely beaten by Johnny Benson last year and the Wood/JTG team hasn't recorded a win as of yet.

One side note, the USGP will be at Indy this year. Lewis Hamilton has been the story of the year and has been extremely impressive (or so I've read) so it will be interesting to see if he continues his run after winning in Montreal. I won't watch the race but may actually be interested to see the result.

6 comments:

vroom said...

i think junior's stats will improve with hms...i guess many fans compare junior to senior, which is not fair.

great blog as always...

Anonymous said...

Dude....Stick to your day job.

Your blog is uneducated crap. I'm not one to stick up for Jr. But I do have enough common sense to know that you will be proved wrong. It's all about the money and the sponser. This is where you get off bloger.... Good luck

thecatfishshow said...

So says the anonymous poster who can't spell "sponsor" correctly... it's an opinion, you're welcome to disagree with it.

Anonymous said...

Fish Stick Boy...I'll make sure they misspell your name on your grave...All your doing is going around hitting parked cars with your opinions. I respect yours, just as much as you hate mine.
I will give you this much Fish stick boy...Your effort is to be commended. Better you shot yourself in the foot than the face.


Your best friend

"WEC"

Cheyenne said...

My expectations of Junior aren't for him to "be like his Dad." I wasn't a fan of his father's. I only came to appreciate/respect him during the last year of his life because he was Junior's father and not for his racing abilities. With that said, I am hoping Junior won't be compared to his father and what he did, but rather that he is judged on his own merit.

Anonymous said...

Catfish Show...

Man...I didn't mean to get into you that hard. I was in the gas and it just took off on me...

Great job and keep up the good work...

"WEC"