Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Why Dale Earnhardt Jr. Is Going To Joe Gibbs Racing

With more and more time passing, I am believing more and more that Dale Jr. will sign with Joe Gibbs Racing. If you believe in connecting the dots, I have several:

- He wants to go to a top Chevy team (which Gibbs has)

- He is friends with both Stewart and Hamlin

- The #18 doesn't have their driver under contract after the 2007 season

- Recently, VISA was rumored to be sponsoring him

- Also recently, Hall Of Fame Racing (affiliated with Gibbs) announced they're looking to form a second team.


To me, it seems very plausible that Dale Jr. will take the reigns of the #18 replacing J.J. Yeley, who moves to the HOF team as a teammate to Tony Raines with sponsorship from Interstate Batteries. As far as a non-alcohol sponsor for Jr. goes, are you going to tell me there aren't billion-dollar companies that wouldn't jump at the chance to have their logo on his car? Yeah, I didn't think so.

That leaves the question of what happens with the #8 of DEI next season. DEI obviously wishes to keep their three teams, so finding a driver that can take over will be important. I also happen to believe Budweiser will continue to sponsor the team provided they get a talented driver in the car. I think there is a good chance that driver will be Greg Biffle. In turn, that will put CTS driver Erik Darnell into the #16 Fusion in 2008.

Of course, I could be wrong... but this is something I've been working up the last few days and I think it's plausible.

2 comments:

vroom said...

I think you could be right, Junior to Gibbs...or, you could be wrong. Now I hear Visa will not pony up. Plus, I don't see Junior and Bud getting a divorce.

thecatfishshow said...

I'm not saying it will be VISA, but a company as big as a VISA will sponsor him. I think if Dale truly wants to become his own man, he might part ways with Bud.