Friday, September 14, 2007

The Next Time Chad Knaus Is Penalized, Why Can't It Be This Severe?

The "this" I'm referring to is McLaren's $100 million fine for espionage. Excuse for a minute while I say holy shit! To make matters worse, McLaren is also excluded from the constructor's championship, which is about equivalent to the manufacturer's championship I guess.

I'm watching qualifying right now and I must say, their qualifying coverage is much better than their race coverage. Not having to deal with ESPN personalities and instead using NASCAR people (novel concept~) makes a much better broadcast.

A few other odds and ends while I'm on a roll:

- Ken Schrader is back in the #21 this week now that the car is back into the top 35 somewhat safely, and the fact that Bill Elliott probably doesn't feel like running Loudon. I think it's tough watching Bill still competing for overmatched teams when in 2002-2003 he showed he could still get the job done and recorded 3 wins, including the Brickyard.

- The Busch Series will be working with several off weekends coming down to the end of the year. The series has only 7 races left, coming at Dover, Kansas, Charlotte, Memphis, Texas, Phoenix, and Homestead.

- The Trucks are doubling up with Cup for 7 of their final 8 races, including this weekend at Loudon. The battle for the championship should be getting awfully good, with former champions currently first, second, and third in the standings. The momentum is with Hornaday at the moment, but Skinner is always dangerous and Kvapil is driving with a ton of confidence in lieu of his impending move back to the big show with Yates.

- I find the open wheel fad interesting to see. I'm old enough that I still remember when the majority of those drivers looked down on the good ol' boys driving full-bodied cars around ovals. Now, the 2008 Daytona 500 will feature more Indy 500 winners than the actual Indy 500 will.

I'm afraid the IRL is in real trouble in 2008. It started with the rumored defections of Franchitti and Hornish. I really don't like the "revenue sharing" proposal that looks to go into effect. Maybe I'm wrong and we'll see some talented drivers come to the series and possibly compete. I've seen rumors that A.J. Allmendinger would come to series because he is unhappy in Cup and burned all his bridges in Champ Car. I've also seen that Dan Wheldon would like to leave Ganassi after being told he couldn't come to Cup, then watching Ganassi take Canadian Club and Franchitti to the #40. One rumor I've even seen is Marco Andretti moving to Champ Car? I don't know. If his goal is F1 running ovals isn't the quickest way to get there. I'm an IRL fan and I can admit that. At any rate, with less and less competition Danica pretty much has to get a win next year.

2 comments:

Nascar and the Canadian Curmudgeon said...

Open wheel is in trouble..they have been a slowly sinking ship since the split....Mclaren's fine made the fines handed out in Nascar as laughable..and now the Patriots get zinged with mega bucks and a first round draft pick...I wonder if anyone in Daytona Beach is apying attention...

vroom said...

I too enjoy IndyCar...if Franchitti jumps to FranceCar, he'll be one of my favorites!