Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Busy Week? I Think So

After my post yesterday, the hum of the news grew to a collective roar. Consider:
  • NASCAR and Nationwide are having an announcement today to formally introduce the insurer as the new sponsor of the #2 series. I'm going to be the smartass and point out the irony of calling it the "Nationwide Series" when it is a nationwide series. I'll be here all week...
  • Dario Franchitti gets out of his AGR contract and officially signs on to drive the #40 for Ganassi next year in the Sprint Cup Series. AGR has chosen Vitor Meira to drive for Franchitti in the ALMS race at Road Atlanta, perhaps hinting who will drive the #27 in the IRL next year.
  • M&Ms made their formal announcement today that they would be moving to Gibbs and the #18 of Kyle Busch. I couldn't think of a worse spokesman, but that's just me.
  • Doug Yates made his first bad decision of the newly-named Yates Racing by releasing talented driver Stephen Leicht at the end of the year. Nevermind that Leicht sits in the top 10 in Busch points and has a win at Kentucky on his resume. I fully expect a bidding war for his services.
  • Scott Riggs signs with Haas CNC Racing for 2008. I think this pretty much assures us that Patrick Carpentier will drive the #10 next year and if the Haas team is smart, they'll put Riggs in the #66 and keep Johnny Sauter in the #70.

More will surely come on some of these stories. I'll try to be around to give the real story on them.

3 comments:

Brinton said...

I'm just giddy at the thought of Vitor Meira getting a shot with Andretti Green Racing.

vroom said...

I would keep Sauter too...

Nascar and the Canadian Curmudgeon said...

Sirus Nascar channel said the rumour is Riggs in the 66 and Stremme going to the 10...first I heard of anything for Stremme