Thursday, December 6, 2007

So, Umm... How Ya Been?

Hello, and greetings to my fellow bloggers and readers. My name is Matt, aka Catfish, and I write a blog about NASCAR...

Sorry, felt the need for a re-introduction. I guess it's been a while.

I realize my absence has been long, and I do apologize. Life gets in the way, school gets in the way, and trying to participate in multiple activities along a full courseload forces some things to be given up, and TCS went on a break. Alas, I am here today to re-affirm my commitment to blogging here, even in the off-season. I will make the effort to post something every week from now until February, when the schedule begins again with the running of the 50th annual Daytona 500. There are some newsworthy items I would like to mention:

Craftsman leaving after 2008 season
I must say, this is tough news. On the one hand, Craftsman has been a loyal sponsor that stuck around through the years of halftimes in the series up until now. Although on the other hand, it would be nice to find a sponsor that actually pays a good race purse. Ever take a look at the purses for these events? They're pathetic. No wonder we have teams shutting down...

- I may start a body count of teams closing for 2008 in the Trucks: of the top 36 teams from lst year, only 21 are confirmed to be returning and the rest are either closed or in danger of closing. The notable changes are just a handful, with Sprague joining Hornaday at KHI, Colin Braun and Joey Clanton replacing Travis Kvapil and T.J. Bell, David Starr back to Red Horse, and the merger of Wyler-Gaughan fallling through and now Gaughan sits on the sidelines. Jeez.

Yates Racing resurrecting #28 for 2008
Yours truly said this would happen months ago, but still cool to see it made official. I think Kvapil will end up running better than Rudd did in '07, and the close alliance with Roush will improve the team as well.

Petty donates 'twisted sisters' to engineering schools
I guess if you can't sell one of the old model cars, might as well give them away, get some good publicity, and build connections to possible future employees.

NASCAR, Kentucky Speedway in litigation that will never end
I don't even know what to say...

Aaron Fike is "clean" and wants to race again
Here we go again with the dog-and-pony show. Didn't we hear the same things from Shane Hmiel and Kevin Grubb? I believe they're both in a trailer right now wearing wifebeaters, drinking beer and making drug deals in the Wal-Mart parking lot.


I guess I missed champion's week, thanks to ESPN I didn't even know when it was.

4 comments:

Vroom! said...

Welcome back...

The off season is slow, but allows us all to recharge our batteries!

HW's World of Sports said...

I can definitely see Kvapil finishing in the Top 25 in points, with a handful of top fives and tens. Gilliland, on the other hand, I don't know.

32hmiel said...

it's about time you wrote something you SOB! I swear I have been loyal and checked the site everyday though.

thecatfishshow said...

Hahah... thanks. I swear I'm not dead yet.