Thursday, February 28, 2008

California A Plate Track?

Talk this week has centered on the question of if California should be converted into a restrictor plate track. Proposed by Michael Waltrip of all people, I've seen numerous articles on both sides of the issue. As such, I feel that I should make the case for in fact taking this bold step.

I hate when race tracks that don't need to be changed do so. For example, Las Vegas. Maybe the COT race this year will be better. Last year though, I thought the track took a significant step backward. The previous layout was coming into its own; after all, it is hard to weather a track that only gets raced on one time a year. But aside from that, ticket sales are strong at Vegas because you can make a weekend out of it. Fair enough. Now, what moron would put 2 races in the middle of the nowhere in California, compared to one in Vegas, and then see the dearth of butts in the seats at California, not to mention that California and Vegas ARE ON BACK-TO-BACK WEEKENDS, and think we still have a winner? Probably the same group of people that would award lucky dog awards, create a brand-new car out of thin air, and say "f-you" to tradition. Sorry, got sidetracked there. My point is, the rationale of giving people a reason to go to California is not a bad thing. I think giving Vegas one of California's dates, while making California a plate track, would absolutely fill the seats at both tracks. I would even accept running the California race on Labor Day if it were a plate race. Sunday night in early September? Tell me that's not a ratings winner and I'll call you a liar. Anyway, something at least to think about as you hear the stories of a "grown up" Kyle Busch. We'll give that one a few more months and see how he's doing.

1 comment:

HW's World of Sports said...

Going to a Daytona-Talladega type track might be interesting, but I don't think it is a good idea. I believe instead of all these cookie cutter tracks that bore the hell out of everyone, we should have more short tracks. Bristol and Richmond have no trouble packing in people. It can be done elsewhere. Why not make California a hybrid Bristol-Richmond-Dover? I reckon that at least 99% of local racing in America is on short tracks, yet only one sixth of Cup races are there. Short tracks are the bread and butter of stock car racing, yet NASCAR has largely abandoned them. That is a travesty, and maybe television ratings and attendance wouldn't be falling if we had more.