Monday, May 19, 2008

Unbelievable

Rarely do I actually get mad at the end of a race. It happens, of course… take last season, when Jimmie Johnson won 10 races, and 4 in a row at the end of the year. But after the All-Star race Saturday, I genuinely can’t believe that Kasey Kahne won. Kahne didn’t transfer in from the Sprint Showdown, and didn’t have the best car in the field. Yet, thanks to the fan vote, this year known as “how many ugly women can vote for Kahne since he can’t drive the COT.” I turned my back on the finish, because I wasn’t just upset that Kahne won, but that Biffle didn’t make the necessary adjustments to win, because he really should have. Oh well.

There is also a second unbelievable, and that is the run by Sam Hornish Jr. Saturday night. Visually, everyone watching on TV and in-person could read the 77 on the side of his car… all the way around the track. Seriously, I don’t think I could set a car up like that on NASCAR 08. I’m already sick of hearing the term “yawed out” in relation to these cars, but I see now that these teams have gone beyond what the 99 has done this year. I thought it was hilarious that Hornish said he couldn’t hardly pull the car in and out of the garage stall, and that teams are having trouble getting the cars up on the scales. I go back and forth on what I think is innovation and what is close that line of cheating, and at this point I still consider it innovation. But, with displays like Hornish and what I’m sure we’ll see in the 600, it might need to be looked at. At the same time, NASCAR has its greedy hands on so much else, I want them to leave some things alone. I guess this is just the latest “lovely” aspect of the new car.

2 comments:

HW's World of Sports said...

The thing that made me sick more than "Kahne Nation" (fat, single, ugly women) winning was the lack of All-Star excitement. It didn't matter who took the lead, Wild Thing, Carl, Greg, or Kasey, they just went out and hid from the field. In my opinion, clean air is even more important with the COT, and it leads to the front 1 or 2 cars building a straightaway lead. NASCAR must work on that problem, and it is one that won't easily be fixed. Drivers are complaining about how hard it is to pass in the COT too. I think that has more to do with the fact that everyone is within 3 tenths of each other more than anything else.

Cheyenne said...

This has turned out to be such a boring year so far. All because of that car. NASCAR has sat up and taken notice of the teams that have gone too far with the yawed out deal and they have sent letters to each team about it.
Kasey got lucky. That's basically what you call being in the right place at the right time, that's all.
I shudder to think about this long race coming up this weekend. Looks like I might be getting a lot of work done after all if it is going to be as boring as the All-Star race and those before it.