Friday, June 20, 2008

Overdue Kudos To The Weekend Winners

In my fit of Dale Jr. ranting, I neglected to mention that Saturday's races were incredible and historic, respectively.

I've been down on Erik Darnell since he failed to finish the '07 well after his win at Kansas. I saw this Colin Braun kid come along, and became fascinated and excited about what he could behind the wheel of the truck. Darnell has been decidedly average this season, until Michigan that is. Darnell was impressive, and the finish was just unbelievable. I still doubt whether he can take it to the next level - Braun is the one doing double duty at Milwaukee - but Darnell can absolutely compete with the best in this series.

Turning my attention to the Nationwide Series, Saturday night at Kentucky was special (as I thought it might be). Joey Logano cashed in by winning in his third career start - his second race on the pole. Sure, Logano-haters have sprung up to criticize him: he's driving the Gibbs #20 car, Toyota power, wah wah. The kid is the real deal. He embarrassed the ARCA field at Rockingham, a race I witnessed personally. He won the Busch East Championship last year, beating guys more than twice his age. At the age of 17 he won a season-long championship. Think he doesn't have talent? You're a fool. Joey Logano is a name you'll be hearing in victory lane for years to come. He's honestly the best I've seen this early in their career along with Kyle Busch.

1 comment:

Charlie Turner said...

Truck races are always - always - good. Joey Logano is going to give JGR a scary good line up, eh? But the chemistry between Busch, Hamlin and Logano could be problematic.