Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Pick To Win The 93rd Indianapolis 500

I don’t have a great track record with my Indy pick, mainly because I kept picking with my heart instead of my head.  The head’s prevailing this year though, and it’s time for this driver to step into the spotlight as one of the top drivers on the IRL circuit.  I’m picking Penske Racing driver Ryan Briscoe to win the Indy 500.

It’s Briscoe’s time to win.  He finished 5th two years ago and last year had an incident with Danica Patrick that gave him a lot of negative press… until he went out and won the very next week at Milwaukee.  Briscoe improved drastically from the beginning of 2008 through the end of the year, racking up 3 wins on his way to finishing the year 5th in points.  This year he won the season-opener in St. Petersburg and recorded a solid 4th place finish in the only oval race before Indy at Kansas.

Briscoe has been fast all month at Indy as his top practice speeds were the best pre-qualifying before being edged by teammate Helio Castroneves.  Since then he has been fast too, among the top 5 cars in every session.  I believe Briscoe has the talent, the temperament, and finally the experience to get the job done and win his first Borg-Warner trophy Sunday.

No comments: