Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Winston

Yeah, that's right.  The Winston is coming up Saturday night.

I'm living in the past I guess.  I can't help it.  I grew up as a fan of this race, and the great feel that came around the event.  These last few years, can anyone really look at me and say that feeling is still there?  This used to be an event the drivers loved to be in.  The special paint schemes, the cars that were made just for this race, it was all there.  What happened?  This race just isn't what it once was.  Now we have a fan vote to put drivers in the main event.  Driver and team talent has nothing to do with it.  Kasey Kahne didn't belong in this race last year.  If NASCAR wants to know why things aren't as popular as they used to be, this is one reason why.  The best of the best are not represented.  Back in the mid-90s the top 5 drivers would qualify for the main event.  Rules change over time but this one wasn't and still isn't a positive step.  

After all that, though, I'm going to to be in the stands for this race Saturday night.  I'm praying that it's more exciting than the one last year, when it was just about track position.  Given this car and this tire I don't know if a 10-lap dash lends itself to anything but that.  We shall see.  I'm not asking for this race to top One Hot Night, but I want a race I'm glad I paid money to see.

Come on, NASCAR, make this race great again.

No comments: